[Scrumptious Sunday] - Multi-Flavor Cinnamon Rolls

10:08 PM flaneur 5 Comments


Oh my GAWSH!
Let's just take a moment to appreciate leftovers.

As it's Easter Brunch season I really wanted to bring some home made baked goods. For one because I think it is just such a nice little gesture that really shows your appreciation for the effort the host made but also it makes me feel like there is food on the table that I know the ingredients of. 

Because the sun tends to make its way through the clouds to announce spring these days I figured it would maybe make for a fresher brunch goodie if I subbed the cinnamon filling with some spring produce. Living in a country with 4 seasons straight cinnamon just screams winter and autumn to me too much for the beginning of spring. That's where the leftovers come in. Yeasty pastry just works with pretty much anything and takes a flavorful twist on any sweet or savory filling. 

For the dough I've slightly modified Minimalist Bakers Cinnamon Rolls recipe. I'm loving their page and if for some odd reason you haven't stumbled upon their blog you should do so!



Them calling it the easiest recipe really isn't raising false expectations. It's SO easy!

Ingredients:
1 pack instant yeast
1 cup milk
(you wanna go for dairy free one if you can because it doesn't interfere with the yeast as much)
2-3 Tbsp.  Greek Yogurt
3 cups flour 
2 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
Sprinkle of salt

You can use any flour you like but I recommend going for plain white flour as it doesn't taste bitter. If you wanna bring a more rustic flavor to the rolls or even fill them with savory stuff you might wanna sub the white flour for spelt flour. At least that's what I would do. Maybe I should write another post on this.

Instructions:
Heat the milk in the microwave or oven until its lukewarm. Then sprinkle in yeast and let it sit for 10 minutes so the yeast gets activated.

Stir in Greek Yogurt, Maple Syrup and salt. 

Add flour bit by bit. Getting the dough right is a bit of a struggle because it transitions from ultra sticky to a smooth dough ball really slowly. If you have a Kitchen Aid I recommend using this. Eventually your dough should look smooth like this. 


Then you wanna let it sit for an hour to rise. (Hardest part for me.)
After risen you simply knead the dough again to smoothen it further and then roll it out on your work place in as much of a rectangular shape as possible. 

Fill it with whatever you want and roll it up tightly. Try to put most of the filling on the side of the dough that faces towards you as it will squish upwards and spill out otherwise. 
Then simply cut about 2 inch coins and place them in a well greased baking tray. 
Bake for about 20-30 minutes at 170 Celcius until nicely browned. 



I filled my rolls with 
- Leftover raspberry sauce from Mum's best Pannacottas.
- Leftover apple sauce
- My favorite peanutbutter and coarsley crushed up chocolate.

But really you can fill it with whatever you like. I didn't dare to make a glaze yet because I felt it might not harmonize evenly with all the different flavors but I definitely recommend adding a cream cheese glaze and sprinkle with nuts like pistachios or a maple-chocolate glaze or a honey-sugar glaze.  You see it's really just about what you come up with! I'd love to know what you used to fill and top those babies with. Cheerio Roll-lovers!

Note:
You will end up with about double to triple the amount of what you see here, because I kind of split the recipe in half as I wanted to try it out first. With the recommended amounts you will end up with about 15-20 servings depending on how thinly you roll out the dough. 
You may wanna make it just a little thinner than you would normally because the dough will rise up in the oven a lot. 



5 comments:

  1. Yummy

    Check out my new post on my blog about White Jeans:
    http://carrieslifestyle.wordpress.com

    Posts online about Egypt, Hollywood, South Africa, Beijing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lord this looks amazing!!! Awesome post girly!!

    xx Olivia

    www.hellooliviablog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks :) And they are super easy to make. ;)

      Delete