[Scrumptious Sunday] Healthier Lemon Meringue Pie

7:58 PM flaneur 0 Comments


Happy Easter Sunday everyone!


Here's a yummy and refreshing easter recipe for you to try out. Actually, it's not even anything particularly like easter apart from being a fresh summer cake. But go ahead and make it anyways. 
It's not a perfect recipe and I'm thinking about quite some adjustments but I really don't know when I will be making this the next time so I thought I might as well just share like that. 
Also I really liked my dress pattern and my curly hurr. 
I still need to find a way to make the curd more solid. I guess you could be adding corn starch or anything but I'm not sure as to how much it will actually stiffen the curd opposed to just thicken it. 
 I've been experimenting with stevia as a sweetener and I guess it really did it's job but for some odd reason I just feel more comfortable using natural sweetener such as honey or maple syrup. I don't usually use sugar but as I was suuuper worried that the tarte wouldn't be sweet enough for my family I used it in the meringue. 

I've been facing one major problem that I didn't quite find the solution for. 
As you'll end up cooking the curd and pouring it over the baked crust you won't be able to put it back into the oven for the meringue to cook. Which you would actually be doing. 
It still worked out and the meringue wasn't runny but I guess it would be nicer and crispier if you baked it. 

 Random. 


Ingredients: 
Crust: 
2 cups spelt flour
1/3 Package baking powder
Dash of Salt
1/2 cup milk 
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
cold water to reach the desired consistency

Filling:
4 egg yolks
half a sheet gelatine
Juice of 3 lemons
Zest of 2 lemons
3 tbsp. Yogurt (Full Fat) or coconut oil but I didn't have any
1/2 cups honey (or other sweetener of choice)

Meringue:
4 eggs whites
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp caster sugar

Instructions: 
1) Preheat oven to 170 Degress Celcius. Combine in one bowl flour, backing powder, salt and mix through. In another bowl combine milk and Olive Oil and roughly mix together (it won't become a homogenous fluid but just so you have a roughly even distribution). Mix together with a fork until it becomes to sticky then use your hands. Add cold water as needed to form a smooth dough similar to the ones of tortillas.

3) Roll out the dough and gently lay it in your pie tin. Poke it with a fork so air can exit the dough. Bake until it's lightly browned about 10 minutes but keep an eye on it. 

4) Put your gelatine in gold water and let it soak for a couple of minutes. In a small sauce pan mix together  egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon zest, yogurt and sweetener. Take out the gelatine and add to the sauce pan. On low heat cook the mixture under constant and gentle mixing until it thickens for about 10 minutes. Take away from the heat, immediatly sift through a sieve and place in the fridge for a couple of minutes to cool. 

5) When cool but still fluid pour the lemon mixture onto your pie crust and let it cool for 1-2 hours. 

6) After your pie has cooled so far, whisk eggs with sweeteners until stiff peaks form. Put it onto your pie and with a Bunsen burner. Chill further before serving.

You can use leftover dough to make little tartlets. Also you can fill them with savory stuff as the crust itself doesn't contain anything sweet. 

Hope you enjoyed the easter days with your loved ones and didn't think too much about calories or macros. I know it's important to feed your body well but you also need to feed your mind and soul!


0 Kommentare: