life thoughts

Wednesday Wisdom [Framework to Growing Up Pt. 5] - Failure & Positivity

6:00 AMflaneur


An aging master grew tired of his apprentice’s complaints. One morning, he sent him to get some salt. When the apprentice returned, the master told him to mix a handful of salt in a glass of water and then drink it.
“How does it taste?” the master asked.
“Bitter,” said the apprentice.
The master chuckled and then asked the young man to take the same handful of salt and put it in the lake. The two walked in silence to the nearby lake and once the apprentice swirled his handful of salt in the water, the old man said, “Now drink from the lake.”
As the water dripped down the young man’s chin, the master asked, “How does it taste?”
“Fresh,” remarked the apprentice.
“Do you taste the salt?” asked the master.
“No,” said the young man. At this the master sat beside this serious young man, and explained softly,
“The pain of life is pure salt; no more, no less. The amount of pain in life remains exactly the same. However, the amount of bitterness we taste depends on the container we put the pain in. So when you are in pain, the only thing you can do is to enlarge your sense of things. Stop being a glass. Become a lake.”


Here's the personal motivation behind the wisdom. 
A couple of months ago I have applied to an Erasmus scholarship. Chances were bad that I'd even get the place but I figured why not apply anyways, the worst thing that might happen was to be rejected. 
Now, the feeling of being rejected is an aweful one. Be it in a relationship or for a simple request, it just doesn't feel nice. 
When I handed in my application I felt weird because I knew I might well get a rejection because the standards for my priority was high. Because I didn't leave much space for other places to go (I wasn't really keen on some of the other erasmus places) it was pretty clear from the beginning that my grades probably werent good enough. Long story short: they told me sorry, but no sorry. 

It felt weird and a little bit like I failed even though I was prepared for it. 
Failure sucks primarily but it can be a pretty good teacher. 

Lately I've been wanting to concentrate on letting go of unnecessary negative thoughts. 
They told me I couldn't go overseas so I figured out other ways I might use up the semester well. I made plans and soon enough I was completely neutral with the situation. I knew I was going to have a good time anyways whatever place I am if I wanted to, so why bother?

But here's the plot twist
Two days ago I received a phone call of my institute telling me that one of the (only) 2 people going to my priority was bailing out. She had already called another guy who she couldn't reach and if he didn't get back to her I could have the scholarship if I wanted. 
Needless to say I jumped onto it and told her I was definitely going to be her back-up plan. 

Let's capture this shortly. 
There are 2 scholarships to this particular University. My whole faculty could have technically applied to this place. I still don't see how she kept me in mind but the lady in the departement did and the guy who should have gotten it otherwise didn't answer. So here I am going abroad for a semester by the end of the year to my ABSOLUTE first priority which was also the most highly requested place to go.

Long story short: A positive mind makes a happy life. 
I don't really think it's because I have been so decent with the whole situation that karma turned back on me. I really don't know why this happened and I am not going to question it. 
And even if it was just a major coincidence and the chances weren't as bad as I thought, I feel like this was a little reminder from mother nature confirming and maybe rewarding me about tring to focus on positivity. I tried to be the lake, friends. 

The funny thing is, even if I hadn't gotten the scholarship in the end, I would still have been completely fine. So it turned out being a win-win-situation achieved super simply by being positive.

Don't let failure, or even just the fear of it, forfeit your happiness.
I know this can't always be as easy, but as long as it can I suggest you go for it!

You Might Also Like

2 Kommentare

  1. So important to stay positive... Loved this inspiring post hun!!! x

    Love,
    Whit

    http://www.whitneyswonderland.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great motivation!! Love!! Hope you have a great weekend!!

    xx Olivia

    www.hellooliviablog.com

    ReplyDelete

Flickr Images

Contact Form