Life Through Lenses

6:02 PM flaneur 0 Comments


I think photography has changed. 
Not that I have been there from the beginning. I am neither one of those camera cracks that can suck out the most amazing pictures from a tea cup and a croissant. Probably by saying photography has changed I should rather aim at saying photographers have changed. But even that doesn't quite cut it  because of course they have because everything is progressing always. Let me put it like this: Photography has become a social medium. We can go on about the entire correctness of this but you get the point, right?

Having said this, don't think I am taking any judgement on this. Or else I am both happy and bewildered about it. I think the funny thing about it is that you can draw a perfectly clear line between the happy part and the bewildering part. 
It really makes me happy to captured beautiful moments. I love beautiful instagram feeds by talented chefs, bakers, illsutrators or just creative people and I love to see nicely arranged things on blogs or breathtaking travel pictures. I love to see joyful people, hungry hands reaching for food stacked with pretty arm candy and all these pretty squares of emotions that float around the interwebs or even just on your computer or on your wall at home. 

However the process of getting there is so weird. 
Example: I've been on a snowboarding holiday over the weekend and enjoyed it loads. The food was beyond this earth and the mountains - I can't even. The scenery was amazing and the hotel in itself magical. They had snacks in the sauna?! They served tea with it. There was a free wine tasting. We had 3-course menu with a buffet for starters and dessert and a show kitchen. I'll brace myself about the breakfast. You get the point. It was amazing! Did I picture any of it? Nope. 
Well, that's not quite correct. I have some overexposed pictures of my breakfast and underexposed ones of my friggin' crazy dinners. I have maybe 3 pictures of the mountains but the nicest shot came from my phone camera while boarding. I have some intimate pictures of the wine tasting situation and blurry ones of my outfits. Exactly ONE made it to my instagram feed. I was a little sad to not be able to turn the experience into a nice post but then again I really enjoyed the whole weekend without a camera lense between me and reality. 
I thouroughly enjoyed spending the meals without taking pictures of every course and just having a chat with the ones I love. 

I guess I could have taken magical pictures eventually. If I had taken the time and effort to tell everyone to DON'T START EATING YET or if I placed myself on a nice balcony and asked someone to take 30 pictures of me until I finally agreed with a shot I probably hd a nice blogpost by now. But I would have felt weird. 

I wonder how bloggers do it.
Maybe it's the places they live. Big cities. People know that kind of stuff already and they don't care. We're a digital society but some places more and others less. How many pictures do bloggers take of themselves until they find 10 good ones to post? With my statistics I would use up a whole memory card. I know I preach to do as you please and make up your own mind but posing infront of a camera creeps me out even though I would love to have pretty pcitures of me like the bloggers do I feel like it takes a lot of effort. 
It's a long way or more precisely it takes a keen eye to take nice pictures of social situations. It's practice I guess but it's a little about overcoming fears as well. I've thought about it before and it still seems to be relevant. 

The society gets more expressive and it's cool to see how creativity mixes in with everyday situations but sometimes I wonder if it means to miss out on the real thing. I get the perks, really. I enjoy posting pretty things on instagram as well but I sometimes wonder about what it does to the situation. 
To think about sharing a situation captured in an arranged picture to be shared with millions of people who don't know each other before it has even started to happen seems to take a lot of the intimacy away. And sometimes even the purpose. 

It's a little bit of a struggle between the outcome and the motives and I don't always know on what side I wanna be sometimes. 
I guess the key is to listen to yourself and - who would have thought - not care about what other people say (unless they don't want to be in pictures or just want to freakin' deavour that burger). And if it seems right to just not take pictures and leave the beautiful aura of intimacy untouched that should be okay, too. And maybe it should be okay more often?

Thoughts? 

0 Kommentare: